Friday, November 25, 2011

Unexpected home Improvement

Mindi has a home office on the lower level of our split level house. She spends gobs and gobs of hours in said room, yet after living here for over 2 years, we had done ZERO work on it to make it our own. Ok, maybe zero is an exageration- we did mount a tv on the wall, as well as declare war on a spontaneous ant colony, but still... other than that, we were living with nasty stained up carpeting, pukey walls that needed some tlc, and a total lack of character. We decided that it was time to make Mindi's office dreams come true, and so we started formulating a plan. We have a teeny tiny budget to work with, despite the fact that the room needs so much work. We decided that we would remove the gross carpet and paint the concrete floor a shiny white. I have been seeing this trend all over houzz.com, and I thought it would be cool in the room. Mindi liked the idea and we agreed that we would add some throw rugs for warmth- badabing. I went to Home Depot this morning to pick up the floor paint and some scrapers to remove the adhesive that was on the padding. I am going to fast forward just a bit here, and say that about an hour later, after much deliberation, I was driving home with 20 feet of carpet partially sticking out of my trunk...

Install carpet on our own???

You BETCHA!

What happened to our budget???

Total for Super on sale carpet (20 feet worth?) $170 including tax!

Damn- we were going to spend more money than that on 2 big rugs! So, we plopped the kids down in front of a movie (or 3) and got to work removing the old and installing the new! This was completely not in the original plan, and typically, it takes me 10 years to decide on something as simple as a wall color- and here we were, pulling all the furniture out of the room and installing carpet (which we have never done before)- and you know what? We couldn't be happier! Despite the sheer size of our room (12ft x 19ft) it was a very straight-forward process, and the results are spectacular! We are taking a trip to IKEA on Sunday to pick up some furniture for the office, so I will check back with some pics after that is all put together!!

4 comments:

  1. That happens to me all the time too, go to the store with a specific thing in mind and then wind up coming home with something completely different. I'm glad it all turned out nice. Installing carpet always seemed a little scary for me. I can't wait to see the finished project :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is awesome Lynn! Looking forward to seeing some photos :)

    Ps. Want to chat about meeting up this month in Orlando? Shoot me an email. Or comment on my blog and we'll talk!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm happy to visit your blog, really hope to become your friends so can view the latest content in your blog,
    weight loss smoothie recipes
    regards.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am satisfied with your blog. Your post is dear. Thanks for sharing your precious comprehension with us.
    hcg diet
    Buy HCG Drops Online

    ReplyDelete

You know I love to hear from you- thanks for leaving a comment!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin