Monday, January 16, 2012

Panties

On the potty at Disney's Magic Kingdom


I don't mean to gloat here folks, but I have to let it out somewhere, no? I am so proud. You have no idea what a proud mama I am. Stella turned 2 on December 4th, making her about 25.5 months right now. I had it in my mind that I wanted to work on the potty training thing no later than 24 months. Harris, after all, much to our surprise, had decided that he wanted to be potty trained when 23 months rolled around, and he became a big brother. I hadn't seen that coming, that was for sure. With Harris, we worked on daytime training for about 2-3 months, and then nighttime training for about 3 months after that. When it came time for the night training, we would encourage him to pee before he went to bed, and then we would get him up at 11pm and 3am as well to pee. If we didn't he would wet the bed. We continued that path and eventually switched it to just 1 wake up, and then none, and so on. I figured Stella's experience would potentially be similar, if not a smidge easier since I always hear of girls being easier to potty train. We whipped out the potty and encouraged her to use it. It took a few weeks for us to convince her that this whole potty training thing was her idea (that seems to be the best route for her) but once she decided that she was into it, she took off. Visualising the timeline in my head now... We introduced the potty as a serious option to her right around her birthday, Dec. 4. 2 weeks later, on the 18th, she switched to panties during the day. 5 days later, we hopped on a long flight to Orlando to go to Disney. The whole week she only wore underwear (or nothing but a skirt) during the day and a diaper at night. As soon as we got home, right before new years, she started refusing her night time diaper. She wouldn't even honor a Pull-Up. So, we took the chance, being only 2-3 weeks into serious potty training to let her go bottomless in the bed. maybe 3 accidents and 2 weeks later, she is sleeping through the night without wake ups, and keeping her bed dry. Well I'll be dag nabbed! Go ahead folks, tell me how proud you are of me her! heheheee...

11 comments:

  1. Way to go Stella! What a rockstar! And of course, cheers to you as well :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I'm curious, how do you convince a toddler it was their idea? Because I have one of those, but can't figure it out...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, what I found, is that with a toddler that is very strong minded (the nice way) or hard headed (the honest way), I find that she really thrives on the idea that she is impressing me. Now, I know that most kids are that way- loving positive reinforcement and all, but it seems to thrill her pride even more than average. It started with the panties- she wasn't into the idea of panties as a reward, honestly, she could give two shits about pretty undies, but she liked the fact that she could reach them in her drawer, and show me that she knew what they were called. I would pull the drawer open and sift around in it, maybe asking her about socks or something to draw her attention, and then she would take out the panties and tell me what they were called. My response would be "oh my, you know what they are called! Are you saying that you want to put them on?" and because I was so excited in my tone, she felt that she had said that very thing. :)

      Delete
  3. That is awesome! Congrats Moms and Stella!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww, good for her! It must be such a relief to know that your little one is making great progress with potty training.

    She is absolutely gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this photo with Stella on the potty! She is so cute! I like your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Woohoo Stella! It was great to meet you and the family today at Carrie's. Your kids are pretty cool little people.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw she is too cute. Love the hair. Also.... I miss your posts. *pout*. I hope that everything is OK and you are just busy with the kiddies.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i miss your post too...hope all is well :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi,i have read your whole blog,its very amazing,i am impressed.i have bookmark your site for revisit.if ever you need then please contact me.Thanx dear.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice Post, Thanks For Sharing...

    ReplyDelete

You know I love to hear from you- thanks for leaving a comment!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin